Happy Friday! Another day without a job and tons of free-time time to study… or cook.
Brunch is my favorite meal of the day. What else is more perfect than sleeping in, enjoying the morning and then leisurely cooking a meal that is finished perfectly in time to cover breakfast and lunch. It also makes catching a wallet friendly late lunch convenient, if you can get to a restaurant before 3pm.
Last night I was stumbling upon restaurants in Los Angeles and came across a few Crêpe restaurants. Many of which I feel are completely overpriced, but no doubt amazing. I have never made a crêpe before, but upon searching for a recipe, I conceived it wouldn’t be too difficult to prepare.
Below is the method to my crêpe madness
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- Blend eggs, milk, flour, salt and oil. Process until smooth. Cover and refrigerate 1 hour.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat and brush with oil. Pour 1/4 cup of crepe batter into pan, tilting to completely coat the surface of the pan. Cook 2 to 3 minutes, turning once, until golden. Repeat with remaining batter.
Now onto the good part, the crêpe filling!
I decided to make one base filling of cream cheese and sour cream and two types of additional fillings, apple and berry.
Apple Filling Ingredients:
- 1 medium apple
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp apple sauce
Apple Filling Directions:
- Slice apple into small pieces
- Simmer in pot with cinnamon and apple sauce until apples are soft
Berry Filling Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup mixed berries (mine were frozen raspberries/blackberries
- 1/4 cup of raspberry preserves
Berry Filling Directions:
- Defrost mixed berries and puree
- Simmer raspberry preserves and berry puree until warm
Cream Cheese and Sour Cream Filling:
- 4oz package cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup milk
Cream Cheese Directions:
- Blend all ingredients until smooth, refrigerate until ready to use
How to fill your crêpe:
After your crêpe is golden brown, remove it from the stove and place it on a plate. Take a generous scoop of cream cheese filling and smear across the center of the crêpe. Take one tbsp of raspberry or apple filling and place along side the cream cheese. Fold the crepe, I used a simple fold method folding one side to the center then laying the other on top.
You can garnish your crêpe with more of the cream cheese topping, or sprinkle them with powdered sugar, drizzle with raspberry or honey.