Happy Valentines day! The day when those with others celebrate their togetherness and make those without others aware of their un-togetherness. On the bright side, a sea of red and pink balloons, candies, and neck ties break up the melancholy of the winter grey and black palette. This year I get to celebrate my togetherness with a wonderful guy who I am so lucky to have put up with me!
Another perk to the month of February is the delivery of the infamous girl scout cookies! Sadly, I did not make it in time to pre-order some of these delicious cookies for my Valentine. Alas, the internet is a wonderful place, full of recipes for just about anything.
Keyword: “Girl Scout Thin Mint Recipe” and wha-lah, a tried and tested recipe that is begging to be created.
Ingredients for Cookies:
1 (18 1/4 ounce) package fudge cake mix
- 3 tablespoons shortening, melted
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons water
Ingredients for Chocolate Coating:
1. Mix all cookie ingredients together in a large bowl (mix by hand) until combined
2. Roll dough on a floured surface into 1″ – 1 1/2″ long tubes
3. Cover tubes in plastic wrap and place in freezer for 1-2 hours, until harded
4. Slice the cookie tubes into 1/4″ slices (This is the perfect thickness for hard and crunchy cookies)
5. Place on cookie sheet and bake for 13-15 minutes
6. Combine all the chocolate coating ingredients in a large pot and melt slowly on the stovetop
7. After cookies have cooled dip them in the melted chocolate and place on a wax paper to cool
8. Let the cookies cool and double dip for extra chocolate
9. Allow the cookies to cool in the fridge for one hour