Success!!! A loud and wonderful screaming down the hallway so the neighbors think you won the lotto, success.
8/10 on the boyfriend who insists he hates tofu scale. That’s good enough for me, apparently it would have been a 10/10 if I used ricotta…o well….he can cook it next time!
This may seem like a lengthy process, but the prep time should only be around 25 minutes and the cook time is 20. I loosely followed this TOFU PARMIGIANA recipe, while making lots of minor adjustments per the comments section of the recipe. The comment section of any recipe is the best place to look for tips and tricks!
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs. I used Italian seasoned bread crumbs
- 2 eggs
- Parmesan cheese to taste
- salt pepper to taste
- 1 (12 ounce) package FIRM tofu
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups of fresh spinach
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato paste or 8oz of your favorite sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup low fat cottage cheese
- Siracha and/or chili flakes to taste
PRE Directions: THIS WILL SAVE YOU A FEW HOURS
- I drained my tofu, patted it dry then sliced it into 1/4 inch slices. I then put it in the freezer on a tray and covered it with wax paper until I was ready to cook with it, approx. 2 hours.
- OR, Drain the tofu and place in the freezer wrapped in ceran wrap the night before you make or a few hours prior. This way you can just slice it and go to the next step.
WHY FREEZE THE TOFU? – Freezing the tofu allows extra moisture to escape, thus giving the tofu a firmer texture, much like a chicken nugget or veal.
- Pre heat the oven to 350 degrees
- Fill 3 separate bowls with the following ingredients: 2 eggs, flour with salt and pepper, and bread crumbs
- Dip the 1/4 inch slices of tofu into the flour, then the egg wash then the breadcrumbs. Place on a cookie sheet and bake for 15 minutes.
- If you are making your own sauce now is a good time to make it. One of my favorite sauce recipes is here…well it’s coming soon because I can’t find it, but it was created by one of my friends!
- You can use pre-cooked spinach or cook your own! I followed this simple spinach recipe: Place 2 tbsp olive oil in a pan, add a clove of crushed garlic. Cook until garlic is golden in color. Add spinach leaves and toss in the olive oil. Cover for one minute then toss again and re-cover. After another minute, the spinach should be done. Remove from heat.
- Spray an 8×8 dish with cooking spray or coat with olive oil. Ladle a small amount of sauce into the dish.
- Place 1/2 of the tofu strips on top of the sauce. Followed by the sauteed spinach, cottage cheese, 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella, and 1/2 cup sauce. Then top that with the other 1/2 of the tofu strips, remaining sauce and mozzarella.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes at 350 degrees
It’s so simple and so delicious you won’t even remember its tofu! I think my next venture will be homemade tofu nuggets and vegan mac ‘n cheese!