Recipe foundation courtesy of Emeril Lagasse. Recipe re-worked by me!
Since we’re on a low carb lifestyle change…trying our best to stay under 25 carbs a day with no fruits, sugars or breads I am trying to make recipes the best they can be! Luckily cheese is low if no carbs, and everyone knows cheese makes everything amazing!
- 3 large green or red bell peppers, tops cut away and seeds removed
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup finely chopped purple onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped orange peppers
- 12 oz “meat” (soy protein)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh or dried parsley leaves
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper (optional – i like it spicy!)
- Pinch red pepper flakes
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
In a large pot of boiling water, boil the large peppers for 3-5 minutes (This helps make them tender)
In a large saute pan heat the oil. Add the onions and chopped bell peppers and cook, about 3 minutes. Add the meat, garlic, parsley, salt, black pepper, cayenne, and pepper flakes. Cooked approx 5-6 minutes.
Pour a small amount of water into the bottom of a pan (This helps to steam the peppers). Stuff the bell peppers with the meat mixture and place in the baking dish. Bake until the peppers are very tender, approx 20-25 minutes!